Nothing But Memory

Harry Potter and the Ultimate Reread

I started this blog up months ago and never posted anything. Maybe I’ve been busy; maybe I’ve had nothing to say. Maybe it’s a combination of those two things. Whatever the reason, it’s about to change.

A week and a half or so ago I went with my sister to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1. I thought the movie was very well-done, and it reminded me of an important fact: I love Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling and her incredible series of books have given me more hours of enjoyment than I can count as I’ve read and reread the books, watched the movies, and discussed the series with friends, family members, and colleagues. The books have inspired me with lots of ideas over the years. I presented a paper on the series at a conference once, and when I did my Master’s degree in English my final research paper was a comparison of Harry Potter and my other favourite series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Before the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (book version) in 2007, I felt I needed to reread the entire series to prepare myself for what was certain to be an epic final chapter (and luckily it did turn out to be that). In order to keep myself on track, I decided to read one chapter per day. I counted the number of chapters in each book and figured out what date I would need to start reading in order to finish Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince the day before Deathly Hallows’ release. This worked really well for me: I stuck to the schedule and finished on time.

When Deathly Hallows the book came out, it was the end of the Harry Potter series — but it wasn’t technically the end; after all, there were still a few movies to go at that point and those would keep us Potter-fiends Potter-satisfied to a certain extent for a while (although obviously nothing tops a completely new book). Well, when part 2 of Deathly Hallows the movie comes out on July 15, 2011 … that’s it. No more new Harry Potter.

In honour of The Actual End, I’ve decided to redo my reread, one chapter per day again. All seven books, plus The Tales of Beedle the Bard. This time, I’ll also try to re-watch all the movies, probably viewing each one as I finish the related book. I mentioned this to some friends a little while ago, and enough people expressed interest in reading along with me that it seemed like a good idea to share my reading schedule with everyone and try to make a sort of Virtual Harry Potter Book Club. Interested in participating? Here are the start and end dates for each book:

December 24, 2010 – January 9, 2011: Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone
January 10 – January 27, 2011: Chamber of Secrets
January 28 – February 18, 2011: Prisoner of Azkaban
February 19 – March 27, 2011: Goblet of Fire
March 28 – May 4, 2011: Order of the Phoenix
May 5 – June 3, 2011: Half-Blood Prince
June 4 – July 9, 2011: Deathly Hallows (not including the epilogue — we’re saving that for last!)
July 10 – July 14, 2011: Beedle the Bard
July 15, 2011: Deathly Hallows, Part 2 in theatres. Reread the Deathly Hallows epilogue today.

I intend to blog about the reread occasionally as I think of things to say, and I hope others will do the same if they feel like it. You can follow my posts here, if you’re interested. I’ve also started a Twitter account (HPreread) where I’ll tweet the title of each day’s chapter. I hope we’ll be able to use hashtags to share our reading experience, similarly to the way One Book, One Twitter participants did as they read Neil Gaiman’s American Gods (another excellent book by an author I highly recommend).

I’m really looking forward to sharing the Harry Potter reading experience with this virtual community of friends and readers. If this sounds like something you’d enjoy too, I hope you’ll join in. The more the merrier!

21 Comments

1. Clare said

Sounds awesome! It would be cool if there was a tinychat of HP rereaders who could read the chapter together (take turns in reading).

2. Meaghan said

I’m glad you like the idea, Clare! A chat does sound cool. I’m not familiar with tinychat but if you felt like trying to get a reading group together I’d be really happy to help promote it!

3. Sophie said

This sounds really cool! I’m totally in.

4. Meaghan said

Excellent, Sophie! I hope you’ll enjoy it. I haven’t been active on Twitter so far but I hope in the next few days to do more.

5. I’ve made a poster to promote this reread — hopefully it will propagate throughout tumblr and gain the reread some participants:

6. Meaghan said

Wow, Alijandra! That is great!! I’m going to tweet the link to your post right now. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that!

7. Crissy said

It sounds awesome, count me in! πŸ™‚

8. wow..that’s sounds amazing!!!

9. Emy said

I’m totally in! That will be a great way to always remember of HP.
    The greatest Idea EVER!!
    I reblogged the post that Alijandra made too =D let’s do it!

10. kaydeee said

Is this all going to be through twitter, or is there going to be a forum/chat as well?

• Meaghan said

Kaydeee: I don’t have a forum or anything. My only plan is to update the Twitter account every day, but I’m hoping people will form their own groups to participate however they like. I can then tweet links to any forum discussions, blog or Tumblr posts, etc. that turn up. I hope that sounds okay to everyone!

11. ilo said

I’m so excited to do this!

12. minnie said

sounds like fun! my problem is i tend to listen to the audio books any more, and have to wait every time for them from the library. they’re still hugely popular. i’ll follow along, lol.

and i love american gods, too, i think neil gaiman is amazing all around

13. Claudia said

This is running around tumblr like wildfire, so many people are going to do it!

14. ABIGAIL said

Im very excited! πŸ™‚ thanks for sharing your ideas πŸ™‚

15. Emily said

My husband would *love* to read your Master’s thesis. And would love for me to read it, since he’s be trying unsuccessfully to try to get me to appreciate Buffy. Despite that… πŸ˜‰ I’m excited for this project and can’t wait to start the reread with you all tomorrow!

16. TaynΓ‘ said

i’m sooo going to do this… really exciting’ ooh, just to remember, i’m from brazil, which means that your idea is getting big *-*

17. Meaghan said

I’m so glad the idea is catching on! πŸ™‚

Emily: Ha, well my thesis isn’t available anywhere … maybe I should put it online. We’ll see! Buffy is great, though — you should listen to your husband.

Tayna: That’s amazing!

18. kaydeee said

I’ve made forums to discuss this!
    Crappy, but hey, it works πŸ˜€

If you could promote this on twitter that would be great!

19. Meaghan said

Awesome, Kaydeee! Yep, I’ll post the link to Twitter and Tumblr right away. Thanks! πŸ™‚

RSS feed for comments on this post

Comments are closed.